PHCITAdmin
Level 1: Cadet

Successfully move Office 365 billing away from Telstra

So... just wondering, as anyone done it? With the recent (well, happened more than 6 months ago but they've only recently fixed it!) double-billing debacle, all the problems with Tenants getting deactivated when moved from T-Suite to Apps Marketplace, and the sudden 25% increase in pricing I was wondering:

If you move your billing away from Telstra and to one of the other Office 365 recellers in Australia, is it seamless? Will the tenants remain intact and not require any changes?

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
5 REPLIES 5
jasondrhodes
Level 4: Private Eye

Re: Successfully move Office 365 billing away from Telstra

Hi @PHCITAdmin,

We've done this for many of our clients as we now only sell Open Licensing via our partnership with Micrsosoft.

Depending on your setup on the Telstra Apps Marketplace, it can be easy/tricky to transfer, but we've done it enough times now to make it pretty seamless.

It's critical to be able to have direct contact with the person that manages all the current Office 365 setup.

Quick details are:

• Purchase new licenses from Open Reseller (such as us - we are Silver Cloud Small & Midmarket Partners)
  • Setup new tenant (has to be a different '@onmicrosoft.com domain)
  • Setup users and apply licenses
  • Migrate user's data (we use SkyKick)
  • Disconnect relevant domain from existing Telstra Marketplace Office 365 admin portal
  • Change DNS settings to point domain to the range of new DNS settings
  • Confirm domain setup in new admin portal
  • Update user accounts to new domain
  • Ensure final data migration is completed.

The migration can differ quite a bit depending on your current setup and what varous data your users have.

Hope that quick snapshot helps.

Jason Rhodes
Cube Web Solutions
Microsoft Silver Small & Midmarket Cloud Solutions Partner
Remote Tech Support & Web Developer.
Ben_Thomson
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi @PHCITAdmin,

Telstra Product Manager for Office 365 here. I am very sorry to hear about your experience following the migration. Unfortunately, there have been some issues moving to the new platform which have had an effect on you. My sincere apologies for this.

Regarding the price increase, this was a result of pricing changes by Microsoft and applied to all of Australia. Your price at the time of the changes in September would have continued until renewal of your 12 month pricing validity period.

If you would like to talk about any of this in more detail then please send me a private message here and I can get in touch.

Kind regards,

Ben

justinh14

Hi Ben,

My organisation originally setup its Office 365 licensing through Telstra but now want to move our licensing to another CSP for convenience.

The CSP has advised that they are unable to just transfer us as a client away from Telstra, but if it had been any other CSP it wouldn't be an issue. They said the only alternative is create a new Office 365 tenancy and then migrate our user data.

Could you please confirm this is correct.

Thanks

Justin

jasondrhodes
Level 4: Private Eye

Hi Justin that is correct and whilst I haven't been back here for a while now I was notified of your post.

Based on my initial post in this thread more than 12 months ago we've assisted many businesses to make the transition seamlessly for your exact scenario.

Feel free to reach out if you like.
Jason Rhodes
Cube Web Solutions
Microsoft Silver Small & Midmarket Cloud Solutions Partner
Remote Tech Support & Web Developer.
justinh14

That is anti-competitive!

Telstra can not block Office 365 clients from transferring licenses to other CSPs if it is not the same policy for all other CSPs.

I wonder if this is an issue for the ACCC or TIO?

My Telstra

Manage your business services on your mobile with the My Telstra app.

Find out more