Unhappy40
Level 2: Rookie

Why is Telstra customer service so appalling?

Over the past 12 months every time I call for support Telstra hangs up on me stating that call volumes are too high. Literally hangs up on me. I know we have had Covid but really, why does that mean I can no longer speak to a real person and obtain proper customer service.

After I hang up if I am lucky I receive a message from the App support people (no problem with them they are doing their job but...). They advise they cannot call me, only message. So then what ensues is literally hours of time wasted messaging back and forth, back and forth, going in and out of Telstra emails looking up and copying account numbers and bill fees, to explain my problem to the app people who are managing a lot of messaging all at once. I have to wait 5 minutes at least for every reply and each time having to wait while the app reloads when they respond, often they haven't read it all properly because they are overwhelmed.

And every time they ask me for all of my personal information, even when they change the person dealing with you on the same problem.

In the end you may or may not get assistance but you just want to give up and change providers to an organisation that cares about its customers, that is nimble, can act on your needs. Telstra has lost its way in my opinion, it has forgotten its customers, it is too large and behemoth.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
5 REPLIES 5
Megsta
Level 1: Cadet

Re: Why is Telstra customer service so appalling?

Yes, I've been having the same experience - it took 6 hours of what you've described, and at the end of the 6 hours, not one of the 3 different staff could give me any answers. So my webmail still doesn't work. That means unless I'm at home using my laptop (with my Bigpond email in Outlook) I can't use my email.

Is Telstra planning to shut down their email service?

RJR79
Level 1: Cadet

I also have been unable to get any satisfaction from Telstra regarding having no home telephone service for the past 3 months, a service which I am still paying for. I have used every method available to me, messaging, telephoning and trying to make an appointment at my local Telstra store at Knox City all to no avail. This problem is with the home phone going to Telstra message bank leaving us (Pensioners) without any means of communication with outside people has occurred during the NBN connection in my area. It would appear to me that Telstra is no longer concerned with the small people. Their excuse that they are to busy means they are understaffed and only are concerned with profit not fixing their customers problems. I believe like many others there are many suppliers out there who will gladly take their customers from them.

@Unhappy40 wrote:

Over the past 12 months every time I call for support Telstra hangs up on me stating that call volumes are too high. Literally hangs up on me. I know we have had Covid but really, why does that mean I can no longer speak to a real person and obtain proper customer service.

After I hang up if I am lucky I receive a message from the App support people (no problem with them they are doing their job but...). They advise they cannot call me, only message. So then what ensues is literally hours of time wasted messaging back and forth, back and forth, going in and out of Telstra emails looking up and copying account numbers and bill fees, to explain my problem to the app people who are managing a lot of messaging all at once. I have to wait 5 minutes at least for every reply and each time having to wait while the app reloads when they respond, often they haven't read it all properly because they are overwhelmed.

And every time they ask me for all of my personal information, even when they change the person dealing with you on the same problem.

In the end you may or may not get assistance but you just want to give up and change providers to an organisation that cares about its customers, that is nimble, can act on your needs. Telstra has lost its way in my opinion, it has forgotten its customers, it is too large and behemoth.

@Unhappy40 wrote:

Unhappy40

To add further to my discussion since this post. I still don’t have resolution. All I asked is for my bigpond email to be delinked from our old Telstra account so I can link it to my new Telstra account. Numerous Telstra service people have advised me that it is too hard to delink an email that Telstra has issues doing this, can I use a different email account. How ridiculous, I want to link my Telstra email to my Telstra ID because that’s the only email I use. See image of what Telstra said.

1129FB43-3CA5-4294-ABA0-5EF13B398939.png

Jupiter
Level 25: The Singularity
Level 25: The Singularity

Telstra Mail appears to be in an end of life phase as they have stopped the creation of new email accounts as of the 29th September 2020 and also removed the paid option to keep your email account if you migrate away from Telstra. I would be recommending getting a new email service provider and start moving you communications away from your Telstra Mail email address.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Unhappy40

So I have now been told to wait another 24-48 hours to see if my bigpond email can be deregistered from my old Telstra account (so I can attach to new Telstra account) - we are now at 24 hours and it is still linked to old account. In the meantime you can chalk up another 4 or more hours wasted on a public holiday, dealing with what should be a simple request. We have all changed accounts with service providers at one time or another. Delinking your email from your old account is commonplace - every other service provider large and small is able to do it. Why not Telstra?

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit