Perrychef
Level 5: Eagle Eye

Cheap Mobile Phone

G'day,

I know nothing about Mobile Phones.  I just clicked Sony as I have a Sony TV.

I am almost 80 years old.  I have never had or wanted a mobile phone.  My children are asking me to purchase a phone.  They are telling me that if I carry a phone with me.  If I need help I can call.  I stay at home most of the time. I use my Home Phone or send e-mails.

Just as an inquiry.  What is the cheapest Mobile Phone to purchase without all the Bells & Whistles?

One that I do not have to take out a contract. A phone that I can just call & receive calls in my area.  Also, we have a Google Chromecast that I would like to use to watch Netflix movies on my TV. 

Cheers Perry

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
3 REPLIES 3
ProfessorPhone
Level 23: Superhero

Re: Cheap Mobile Phone

Hello Perry 

I'm not far behind you age wise.

Sony mobile phones have withdrawn from the Australian market.

JB HiFi sell a basic resurrection of a Nokia phone 

https://www.jbhifi.com.au/products/nokia-3310-3g-charcoal

This will give you back up and support by JB who are excellent. I have no association with them

"BEING NICE TO OTHERS .. IS NICE"
If I have helped you, a "Like" would be appreciated.

If my advice is a solution, please acknowledge it.

I'm not a Telstra employee.
50 + years exp. in radio comms., eg mobile phones since 1963, two-way radios, base stations, antennas & pagers. Expert in current Telstra Go repeaters & smart antennas.
"Being 76 years of age, entitles one to be an expert at everything!!"
KegRaider
Level 4: Private Eye

Greetings Perry,

I would check out BigW or Harvey Norman from time to time also.  You can occasionally get a cheap smartphone for less than $50.  Just check to make sure it's not locked to a particular provider first, or you will have to research on what resellers use what networks.  Also, some of the flagship brands have an "Emergency Mode" which will put the phone in a more power save state, and allow you to call emergency services.  Have a chat to your kids about what they are expecting with this device.  I still remember my poor grandfather's situation being stuck on the floor of his kitchen for 2 days before my cousin found him, as he had a stroke!  Smiley Sad

I bought cheap phones for my kids, and they are on plans from "Amaysim", which start at like $12/month.  Currently, the first month is $6.  I've had no complaints from their service, but your mileage may vary depending on what providers you can connect to in your area.

The chomecast will work with almost any Andriod phone, just be mindful that streaming Netflix will require a bit of data on your phone, a luxury my kids don't have Smiley Happy

I know you said you are almost 80, and I mean absolutely no disrespect with my comments above.  My parents are themselves getting to the tail end of 70, and I'll no doubt be looking to get them some sort of autonomous emergency caller when the time feels right. 

ProfessorPhone
Level 23: Superhero

Mepacs provide various in home emergency systems plus a small mobile unit.

Mepacs now a modified Samsung watch called Solo

"BEING NICE TO OTHERS .. IS NICE"
If I have helped you, a "Like" would be appreciated.

If my advice is a solution, please acknowledge it.

I'm not a Telstra employee.
50 + years exp. in radio comms., eg mobile phones since 1963, two-way radios, base stations, antennas & pagers. Expert in current Telstra Go repeaters & smart antennas.
"Being 76 years of age, entitles one to be an expert at everything!!"

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit