Leopardlady
Level 2: Rookie

Problems with wifi hotspot tethering sony z2

Answered

I upgraded my Telstra plan to increase my data to accommodate working on a Microsoft Surface for my work. I have tried tethering my Samsung tablets to test the  tethering and both phone and tablet register connection but I keep getting a tethering error message on the phone and there is only very intermittent and brief internet access on the tablets during tethering.  My telstra  agent tried a suggestion from this forum that involved adding ',dun' to the APN setting  but this didn't work.  I really need to resolve this,  any ideas please? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
DuckDodgers
Level 20: Director
Accepted Solution

Re: Problems with wifi hotspot tethering sony z2

yeah i hear ya mate and in most cases you are correct.

your other problem is that most people and even Sony would tell ya to make sure that you have the latest version available as it does fix a lot of known issues. unless you can get away with using a cable tether then i think your only option would be to update the software. then again that may not fix your issue as well but it's one that thing that you are going to have to try to eliminate that as your problem.

good luck.

Note: I am in no way affiliated with Telstra, i simply work in the IT industry and my posts are from experiences.
If you don't want my help simply disregard my post.

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
9 REPLIES 9
DeltaSquad
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

@Leopardlady

Welcome to CrowdSupport.

To clarify, are you trying to tether your phone to your Surface computer?

Does your tablet have any troubles with this?

Is your phone able to tether to other connections ok?

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

DuckDodgers

Do you really need to use the tethering via WiFi?

Try using a cable instead to eliminate any issues. Plug your phone into your surface. Then on your phone go to Settings > More > Tethering and Portable hotspot
Drag the slider to the right and tap on OK if you get a prompt.

Give that a go and see if that works. If it does then there might be a compatibility issue with the Z2 and your surface, which doesn't surprise me cause the Z2's OS may not be sufficient enough for Win10 which im assuming your surface has.
Note: I am in no way affiliated with Telstra, i simply work in the IT industry and my posts are from experiences.
Leopardlady

Thanks for your help.  I will try that with the Surface but would still like to resolve the wifi tethering for my tablets which don't have usb slots. 

Leopardlady

Hello,  I am trying to use my phone as a hotspot for my Surface and tablets. The same problem occurs whichever device I try to connect to the phone for internet. I haven't actually tried the Surface yet as I have the tablets accessible at home and didn't want to waste work time sorting this out. The tablets and phone register as being connected but the Internet won't work and the phone keeps coming up with the error message.  Thanks for your help 

DuckDodgers

hmmmmm since its happening to all devices then definitely sounds like an issue with your phone and not the laptops/tablets etc.

lets start with what version of software your device is running. head to settings > About Phone. Then locate the Android version you may need to scroll down to the bottom. also can you tell me what build number you are running (that will be right at the bottom).

hopefully you are on the latest version available for your phone which is 6.0.1 and build number 23.5.A.1.291. if it isnt you may want to update your phone that may be whats causing you issues. so if you scroll back up to the top of the About Phone page you should see an option "Software update" tap on that and make sure you are in the system updates part and give it a sec to check. if it needs to update you should see the option in there. if there is update your phone.

Probably might be a good idea to back up your phone first and make sure its connected to your homes WiFi connection (the update may be large and can chew through your monthly quota quite quickly.

If you dont see an option there you next best option is to plug in into a PC and use the Sony PC Companion software.

let us know how you go. cause im thinking if you have the latest system software then your last resort would be to do a restore. there may be something thats stopping your phone from working with your surface.

Leopardlady

Hello DuckDodgers, thanks for your help.  My Android version is 5.0.2 and Build number 23.1.A.0.726. I have deliberately not updated software as often changes would include really annoying, unexpected changes. I will take your advice and try to update next time I have good wifi internet access.  

DuckDodgers
Accepted Solution

yeah i hear ya mate and in most cases you are correct.

your other problem is that most people and even Sony would tell ya to make sure that you have the latest version available as it does fix a lot of known issues. unless you can get away with using a cable tether then i think your only option would be to update the software. then again that may not fix your issue as well but it's one that thing that you are going to have to try to eliminate that as your problem.

good luck.

View solution in original post

Leopardlady

Thanks for your help, updating the software on my phone seemed to resolve the issue

DuckDodgers

ah good to hear!

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit